Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Party



We had our big party – welcoming Aiden and I to the Nziku/Mgaya family. It was more for the extended family who maybe haven’t officially met us yet.  Normally this is the party where they pay for the bride but we don’t do that in the states so they just gave us gifts. I am worth 1.4 million……shillings, which is $850, still a pretty good amount of money, but not as impressive.

It’s a two day ordeal. The first day is cooking a meal and everyone comes to eat and get their jobs for the next day. It even gets written down , so no getting out of it! We had it at our house and the first day it rained a lot so we moved all the cooking to under our porch. Here are some pictures of the cooking and me learning to be a villager, except that I was a rebel and wore jeans most of the day! 




The second day started bright and early (530 AM). We had to start cooking the chipsi, or French fries early. (Lots of work) The food was ready around 10am or so and then it was a family meeting time to present some of the money to us. It’s a very official event and everyone was trying their best to speak only Swahili, at least in the official meeting parts. I met a few of Sifeli’s oldest living relatives; other than his grandfather (mother’s father),  two of his grandfather’s siblings are alive (sister and brother). Here is a picture of Aiden with his great great aunt. I think there is a strong family resemblance!


We also got a picture with Sifeli and all of his Brother’s and one sister and their families. His sister’s husband wasn’t able to make it, they live far away, but other than that everyone is pictured here. His oldest brother and his wife and their three boys, next is his sister and her daughter, then us, after us is his younger brother, his wife, and their two kids, and then the youngest brother. 


As my family representative all the kids, Gerusa, and our two staff members came to attend the party! It also brought some English speakers to the event! 



I gave a speech with the help of Sifeli’s cousin, Akiba. I welcomed everyone, told them that Tanzania and America are two very different places but I was trying to learn the culture. As an example of the differences I said women wear pants most of the time not skirts. ( lots of laughter after this) I told them this is our home and an American lives here, a Tanzanian, and a baby who is half and half; so we do things a little different, but everyone is welcome anytime. I told them that I was still learning Swahili and kibena (tribal language) would come slowly, but the previous night i learned how to say rest in kibena. They all thought I was quite funny, so that’s a good start in my new family.

One of Sifeli’s brother’s lives next door with his wife and kids, so we see them on a daily basis. He has two kids, a girl who is 3, and a boy who is 1 year 4 months. They are always playing together with Aiden. When Aiden is doing something he shouldn’t I say “Aiden, No.” Glady, the 3 year old has picked this up, so at the party Aiden was going somewhere he shouldn’t and Glady says “Iden (can’t say Aiden) NO!” Everyone had a good laugh and then we showed off some of the English Glady has learned: won, foo, free= one, two, three; and ba-nan-a  (nan said extra long).

Jeneti our oldest child at Sunrise (currently off in secondary school) lost her father recently to heart problems (probably high blood pressure). She came home for Easter break and he was very ill so she was able to visit him at least one last time. Jeneti’s story is a tough one (like all the kids). He mother died when she was young and her father remarried leaving her in the village with her grandmother. When I first got to Sunrise Jeneti used to ask everyone “Are you my new mother?” (I became mama Jeneti at some point.) My heart never seems to stop hurting for these kids who go through so much. It seems never ending but hopefully we at Sunrise can give them some things they are hurting for. They are why we (Gerusa and I) are here after all. 
I still would like to do some sort of feeding program for the babies in the village. I am going to be looking into ideas and programs when we are in the states, which we will be at 6:35PM Thursday evening!!!!!!!

It was hard to say bye to the kids again. I don’t think that will ever be an easy thing, even with a family of my own, and not living with them 24/7- they are still my loves. I am pretty sure Aiden is going to miss the constant attention too, but maybe we can get rid of some of this spoiled-ness he has picked up. He can’t make a noise without everyone rushing to his aid. He is cute and he knows it so look out Americans!
I am writing this only 7.5 hours away from leaving Tanzania. Our first flight leaves here at 11PM, and heads to Amsterdam, then San Francisco, next Portland! So please be praying for peaceful flights, Aiden is a busy body and in think sitting for 23 hours is going to take its toll on him. 

So, see you soon Oregonians!

No comments:

Post a Comment