Monday, October 6, 2014

First Week as a Village Wife




A week ago yesterday Aiden and I moved in with Sifeli and the friend he has been staying with. He is married and they have a two month old daughter, her name is Angel. Their father’s have already decided that they are destined to be married.

Things about being an “official” villager:
1.       People stop by ALL OF THE TIME, and you have to let them in. (no pretending you aren’t home.)
2.       No electricity, we all use our phones or flashlights.
3.       Out house style bathrooms, which doesn’t bug me so much except for the 5 million spiders. Sifeli took care of them for me, I didn’t go to the bathroom for like 12 hours.
4.       Cooking over and open fire, which means SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE and then some more SMOKE.
5.       I tried to light the fire around 10 times and then just gave up. But Sifeli’s friend’s wife, Hosana, is a good wife to us all
6.       No mirror! I just braid my hair every day, at least I know that looks half way decent.

A conversation with an old bibi (grandmother) in the village. (Back story she comes to the house and I am in our room changing my clothes, Aiden and I are the only ones there.) (All is spoken in Swahili but I will type in English)

Bibi:Hodi (can I come in?)
Me:Karibu! (you are welcome)
Bibi: Kamwene (Kibena or tribal language greeting)
Me: Kamwene, How is your morning?
Bibi:Good and yours?
Me: Good.
Bibi: Speaking a whole lot of kibena.
Me: (Thinking she is on the phone, so I say nothing)
Bibi: Eh wewe! (Hey you!)
Me:Are you taking to me?
Bibi: Yes!
Me: I’m sorry I don’t know kibena.
BiBi: You don’t know!? Who are you?
Me: Courtney…. Mama Aiden…. Mzungu.
Bibi: Oh Mzungu, ok bye!
Me: Ok bye!
My Swahili must be excellent if she did not even know I was an mzungu! Ha!

Basically it’s a whole new adventure and Aiden and I are taking things as they come! Thanks for all your continued prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment